July 14th, 2040:
- Intruders! Hitori!
« Who is Hitori? » asked Alys to herself. She gave a pat on the shoulder to Mikael to conduce him to wake.
- Who are you? Asked aggressively someone.
Alys startled and looked around. From a metallic footbridge a masked young man in his thirties was staring at them. It felt careful not to use their real identities but their official names:
- My… my name is Sam Suung. He’s…. Maa Kintoche, Alys stammered. Where… are we?
- You are in a waste factory that is used time by time as a warehouse; it’s all I can tell you. Where do you come from?
- It’s a long story.
- Try to justify yourselves about your presence here. By the way how did you enter in the factory without being noticed?
- We have to defuse a nuclear weapon to ensure humanity’s survival, Mikael intervene restraining a yawn.
Alys shot glance at her brother giving him a nudge:
- Be careful, we don’t know yet whom we are dealing with, she uttered. Just you wait I’ll get you!
- What the… Don’t go mad at me it hurts! I’ll get even with you for that… he responded rubbing his elbow.
- When you would have finished arguing, may you grant me some explanations? Hitori inquired.
- We’re not arguing! Alys and Mikael exclaimed.
There was a silence then Alys spoke the first:
- You don’t seem to be working for the government but are you trustworthy?
Surprised Hitori sketched a smile:
- You got it right. I’m the leader of a revolutionary environmentalism. Seemingly our goals are the same so are you willing to join us?
Mikael jumped on his feet:
- By… by any hazard are you calling yourselves the Lonesome?
Gaping Hitori glanced at Mikael then at Alys and went down the footbridge to stand squarely in front of them:
- You’re pretty well informed for strangers. May I know what has exactly driven you here?
- We come from the future, Mikael avowed.
It was undeniable and Alys nodded with resignation.
Hitori remained impassive not smiling:
- Let’s pretend, can you prove it?
- Maybe we are telling the truth maybe not. However we have a mission to accomplish:
Many people of our time count on us so we can’t fail nor abandon as stupid cowards.
We all share the same dream. We don’t want this world to be destroyed all over again: fortunately we can still make everything to change so don’t lose your mind with regrets and guiltiness.
- Guess you’re telling the truth but it’s physically impossible to travel through time so…
- We trust in you Hitori! Alys exclaimed. No longer let the government bully you at any time for no reason…
Her voice fainted but she smiled warmly and added:
- Be aware, you’re really a great man!
Hitori chose to trust the impossible and offered them to join temporarily the revolutionary.
- Don’t expect us to babysit some newbies that will get in the way on the battlefield! Someone observed when Mikael and Alys were introduced in the secret headquarter of the Lonesome fighters.
- Silence! Hitori responded. It has been said that the bomb will explode tomorrow so we have to build up a new strategy.
- How would you know this?
- Let me introduce Sam Suung and Maa Kintoche. According to them it is what will occur if we do nothing to prevent it from happening. I must mention that they come from the future so they should be fair.
- Anyway all we need for now is a real plan of action! A revolutionary yelled.
Hitori sighed and switched on his computer. A map of the city appeared on the wall as a hologram. Hitori pointed a finger at the nuclear power plant located in the city’s surroundings:
- Tomorrow at the same hour as we’re talking now, the bomb will explode and this will be the end of all… Unless we defuse it on time! To achieve that we’ll have to dodge the security barriers set around the station by the Official people and infiltrate the machinery room. Fate won’t give us a second go, we’ll have to manage everything in a single and last try.
“History will be repeated” Alys thought with sorrow while Hitori was explaining the next stages of his strategy. She stood up:
- Have you anything to comment on, Sam Suung? Hitori asked.
- History will repeat and it can’t be helped. The bomb will explode accidentally and it will leave the entire world in a dying wreck. This world you know so well and cherish so much will collapse into ashes. A lot of people will die. So it’s up to you to make the right choices.
Hitori sighed with weariness:
- Honestly, the events completely go beyond me. I’m just trying my best everyday to fight for my beliefs and to protect the ones I love most.
- I can’t shut my mouth and let you reproduce the same failures! You deserve all my respect Hitori but you’re going on the wrong way.
Hitori looked at her with astonishment: how could this girl coming from the future see through him so well?
By any standards he didn’t wish to become a revolutionary at first. His reason to fight was a woman called Isha whom he deeply loved. She was the only child of two famous healers unfairly accused to have created an uncommon medicine meant to cure amnesia.
Thus, scandalized by this parody of trial he decided to vow his life to the cause of those presumed to be political opponents who never had the right to speak and were compelled to submit to the Official people’s authority otherwise they were ruthlessly persecuted.
Isha was arrested as well as her parents and since that day he was cursing his coward self to have abandoned her by helplessness.
An hour later the brainstorming was declared over and everyone went to bed in small capsular bedrooms piled up in huge containers.
No favoured treatment for Hitori who usually slept in one of them as well as his comrades. Exhausted, Alys and Mikael fell asleep as soon as they had finished settling.
Alys woke up with a start and blinked. She hadn’t recovered yet her spirits to know where she was that she has already gone down the ladder to join the other fighters in the center of the warehouse.
His arms crossed Hitori was impatiently waiting for the last belated people.
Unlike the last night he wore military clothing with a gun hanging at the belt. Unmasked, he wore also a pair of half moon shaped rimless glasses equiped to be used as a communication device.
When everyone has gotten ready their headphones put and set, he adjusted the frequency and smiled:
- Things will get serious as soon as you step out this warehouse. Be cautious if any of you is caught by the police before our arrival at the nuclear power plant, it’s all over. I won’t hesitate to leave this person behind if necessary. For now, let’s go!
- Let’s go!
The birds sang in harmony as the sun was rising up. People did the things they normally do. Some were still sleeping. Some others were doing early their daily footing.
A perfume of carefreeness and holidays fluttered in the air.
No one could already expect that these halcyon days were going to come to an end in no time.